Wednesday, February 25, 2015

MY 600-lb Prison

As I sat here waiting for my husband to get home from school, I watched an episode of TLC's My 600 -lb Life; Pauline's Story.



She started out weighing just under 700 lbs. Her 26 year old son is her care taker. 
At first sight, my heart when out to her. She pleaded her case, cried and gave legitimate reasons for wanting to lose weight. 
All I could think about was how much I wanted her to win, how much I wanted her to succeed. 

In the beginning of the episode, Dr. Nowzaradan told her she needed to lose at least 30 lbs on her own before he would do the surgery on her. 
She "tries" to cut down her portion sizes but she never changed WHAT she ate. On her checkup appointment she had GAINED 4 lbs. 

She is hospitalized via Dr.'s orders and put on a strict 800 calorie/day diet which helps her finally lose enough weight for the doctor to perform the surgery. 

Anyone out there had surgery? I've a couple and the first thing the tell you is to get up and walk around to prevent blood clots. Well, Pauline thought she was smarter than the Dr. and decided that she didn't need to walk at all for a week after surgery resulting in ANOTHER surgery to put a device in one of her leg veins to catch any blood clots and prevent them from going into her lungs. 

The ENTIRE episode she is fighting the doctor at every turn claiming that she knows her body better and that she has to take things at her own pace. Now, I know that listening to your body is VERY important, but there's a difference between listening to your body and making excuses. 
In one scene, her doctor tells her to not eat carbs. Then next scene you see her eating a quesadilla with rice and pico. She says that she knows the rice had carbs but that her doctor doesn't know what's best for her so she's going to eat what she wants. 

WHAT???

Ok, I know that doctors don't know everything, but come on! I wanted to slap her across the face. 

As the episode ended, it showed her in her motorized wheelchair going to bingo and her total weight loss, which was 125lbs.

All of that weight was lost in the hospital. 

All I could think of during this episode was how psychological weight gain is.
 Our perception is our reality.
 Pauline may think she's making changes and eating better, but in actual reality, she's not. 

This is a big reason why I have switched to psychology. The mind is a wonderful thing but it can debilitate us when we don't take care of it. 

Anywho....

Like I always say, the scale isn't everything. In fact it lies... A LOT. But, when you are so big that you can't even help yourself do the basic, everyday things to take care of yourself, there needs to be a change. 

This show just fuels my fire. I get so amped up watching. My heart aches for some of these people. The ones who REALLY want to change don't make excuses. Their WHY-power is bigger than their excuses. It's so amazing to watch people hit goals, change their minds and completely change their lives. It fills my heart with so much joy to see people push themselves, crush their goals, and realize that they can do hard things. 

I love seeing people succeed. 
I love seeing people happy. 



Everyone deserves to be happy and to feel good about themselves!



No comments:

Post a Comment